Oppose Offshore Oil Drilling
The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) is accepting comments on offshore drilling. Deadline is March 9th.
Suggested text is below, but please try and personalize it as much as you can.
"My name is ______________ and I live in ___________________. I oppose BOEM's proposed 2019-2024 Oil and Gas Leasing Program. The risks of offshore drilling to our marine habitat and coastline are far greater than any short term profit that may be gained. New York is a coastal state and Long Island, especially, depends on tourism, fishing, and other commercial activities that involve our use of the ocean. More importantly, enjoying and protecting our waters and the life within them is part of our culture and the reason many come to live and work here.
The current moratorium on offshore drilling for fossil fuels should stay in place. The proper use of BOEM's resources is to encourage the development of clean and renewable energy sources, such as offshore wind."
Here's how to file your comments. The more comments the better. Please share the link to this page on social media!
1. Go to www.regulations.gov
2. In the SEARCH tab, put in Docket ID: BOEM-2017-0074
3. It will take you to a new page. On the right middle side of that page, click on Comment Now!
4. Type your comments into the large blank white box.
5. Scroll down the same page and put in your personal information.
6. Scroll further down and uncheck the box that says, I am submitting on behalf of a third party.
7. Click the Continue button.
8. On the next page you get to Preview your information. Look it over and then click the Continue button.
The next page should say, "Your comment was submitted successfully!" and give you a receipt number